The visa is a permit of entry and residence, transit or airport transit, issued by the Republic of Bulgaria.
Any foreign citizen who wishes to apply for a Bulgarian visa must have a regular overseas travel document that meets the following requirements:
- its validity expires at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria or in the case of multiple visits - after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- it contains at least two blank pages for affixing visas;
- it has been issued within the last 10 years.
Visas are issued by the diplomatic missions and consulates of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The list of countries for whose citizens, holders of ordinary passports, a visa is required/not required for a short stay (up to 3 months) in the Republic of Bulgaria, can be downloaded from HERE.
The list of countries for whose citizens, holders of diplomatic and service passports, a visa is required/not required to enter the Republic of Bulgaria, can be downloaded from HERE.
Types of visas
- Visa Type A (for an airport transit) – more information can be downloaded from HERE.
- Visa Type C (for a short stay for a transit passage or a planned stay) - more information can be downloaded from HERE.
- Visa Type D (for a long-term stay) - more information can be downloaded from HERE.
All foreign citizens who will long reside on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria /exceeding three months/ need a visa Type D, including those who enter under the visa-free regime. The visa is issued by the diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic of Bulgaria abroad.
After affixing the visa to the national ID document, a foreign citizen needs to submit to the Migration Directorate at the Ministry of Interior, within the term allowed for stay, an application for a residence permit by submitting the same supporting documents that were attached to the visa application.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Bulgaria
Consular Relations Directorate
Address: Sofia 1113, 2 Aleksandar Zhendov Str.
Phone: +359 2 948 2999 Operator
Working hours of the Consular Relations Directorate: 09.00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- on visa issues: Tel. +359 2 948 3016
- on general non-visa consular information: Tel. +359 2 948 2005
- on legalization / verification of documents: Tel. +359 2 807 64 23; +359 2 807 64 26